Environmental education is a process in which awareness is spread so that individuals can understand the environment in better ways. The individuals will get to know about the environmental issues, causes, effects, solutions to get out of these environmental issues, how these solutions can be implemented etc.
If you look at the present scenario of the environment then environmental education is very important for each and every individual to understand their responsibility towards saving the environment.
IS ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION AND ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATION SIMILAR TERMS?
Most of the time people think that environmental education and environmental information is the same. Well, these two terms are completely different from each other. Environmental information is just to provide the facts related to a particular environmental problem but in environmental education, awareness is increased about the environmental problems. Environmental education focuses on promoting critical-thinking but environmental information does not. Environmental educations increase the problem-solving & decision-making skills of an individual, whereas environmental information only provides the straight information.
HOW CAN WE PROMOTE ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION?
Environmental education is necessary for everyone whether it’s an adult or a child. If we think about promoting environmental education in children, it will be much more important because they are the future and tomorrow they will have to make efforts to save the environment. Hence, we need to start the education from today itself for a better tomorrow.
How can we promote an eco-friendly life to our Children?
- Awareness about 3 R’s
3 R’s means “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle Wastes”. Introduce these 3 Rs to your child. 3 R’s are actually created for the improvement of the waste management process. This is also called a waste hierarchy. Teach your kid about the importance of 3 R’s and how can they implement it in their lifestyle.
- Importance of tree planting
We all know how trees are important for us and our environment. We also should teach our kids the importance of trees to mankind and encourage them to plant trees.
- Save Water
Water is one of the important parts of our life. Water fulfills our daily needs such as drinking, bathing, planting, agriculture etc. We need to teach and educate our children “how can they avoid wastage of water unnecessarily”.
- Importance of energy saving
Energy saving is another important factor in mankind. Teach your kids about the importance of energy saving and how can they contribute to it. For example- teach your kid to switch off the lights when it is not in use. For this, children can join the major upcoming global event called Earth Hour 2019.
- Understand the importance of solar power
Teach your kid that we have a huge natural source of light and energy. Encourage your kid to make use of solar power as much as possible for example – drying clothes outside instead of using the dryer.
IS EDUCATION REALLY AFFECTS THE ENVIRONMENT?
As of now, we have discussed a lot that environmental education is very important for the eco-system and living organism too. Now, we will discuss little more on how environmental education affects our environment?
Environmental education affects the environment in many ways such as-
- Environmental education encourages individuals to take necessary steps and works as a helping hand to protect the ecosystem. It is not a procedure of only providing information about the environmental issues but it also includes implementation of the solutions to these issues. Having theoretical knowledge of environmental issues & its solutions is not enough rather implementation is much more important.
- Environmental education also encourages people about using energy, water, natural resources in an efficient way. It also helps in educating the farmers about the usage of a natural source of water i.e. rainwater to solve the problem of water supply, especially in the areas where scarcity of water is a big problem.
- Environmental education also educates people about different methods of helping the environment in our daily lifestyle such as recycling household waste, purifying water by filter or boiling etc.
- The saving environment is not an individual task rather it is a group task in which much human power is needed to make it successful. Everyone is a learner when we talk about environmental education. We all need to learn how we can protect the environment by working together.
HOW CAN WE SPREAD AWARENESS TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT?
Environmental issues and its solutions are one of the major topics to discuss these days. Everyone is concerned about environmental issues around the world and working their level best to tackle these issues. Spreading awareness is very important to make a change.
- We should use reusable bags instead of using plastic bags. Plastic bags are not only hazardous for the environment but a treat to animals as well.
- Learn about the importance of afforestation and how to promote it.
- Take print only when it is necessary. Now a day printing has become a part of our life whether you are in school, college or in office.
- Introduce recycling into your lifestyle. Dispose of your household garbage for recycling.
- Say no to single use-plastic such as mineral water bottles, beverage containers etc.
- Take the necessary steps to save electricity. For saving electricity you can switch to LED bulbs, switch off the appliances & lights when not in use, air dry the clothes etc.
- You should also try to save water. There are many ways through which you can help in saving water such as close the tap while brushing teeth & shaving, limit the use of water while dish-washing & washing clothes etc.
Always remember even a small contribution for the Mother Earth can make a great impact.